⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] ice mass change standard name

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 17:17:10 +0000

Dear Andreas,

Thank you for the explanation. I agree that for your data it would not be straightforward to provide the time bounds of any ice mass change.

So that leaves us with:
change_in_land_ice_amount (canonical units: kg m-2)
' "Amount" means mass per unit area. Zero change in land ice amount is an arbitrary level. "Land ice" means glaciers, ice-caps and ice-sheets resting on bedrock and also includes ice-shelves.'

This name is accepted and will be added to the standard name table.

As regards the definition of land ice, I think it was probably proposed alongside some of the existing standard names that use it. I am not an expert on ice, but certainly I don't think we should alter the definition unless it is factually incorrect because it could affect the interpretation of data that have already been written with the existing names. If it were an issue for your data we could make it clear that ice shelves are not included by using a standard name like change_in_land_ice_amount_excluding_ice_shelves. Would that be better? Both names can be added to the standard name table if they are needed.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065