⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard_name: downward_air_velocity

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 17:39:02 +0000

Dear Ken and Jonathan,

I agree that this name is entirely consistent with others in the table. I have added a sentence to the definition to cross-reference the existing name upward_air_velocity:

downward_air_velocity (canonical units: m s-1)
' A velocity is a vector quantity. ?Downward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed downward (negative upward). Downward air velocity is the vertical component of the 3D air velocity vector. The standard name upward_air_velocity may be used for a vector component with the opposite sign convention.'

This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table.

I have also added a sentence to the definition of upward_air_velocity to cross-reference the new name:
upward_air_velocity (canonical units: m s-1)
' A velocity is a vector quantity. "Upward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed upward (negative downward). Upward air velocity is the vertical component of the 3D air velocity vector. The standard name downward_air_velocity may be used for a vector component with the opposite sign convention.'

This change will be published in the standard name table at the same time as adding the new name.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065