⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New cell_methods: mabs/mibs/mebs?

From: Charlie Zender <zender>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 16:05:57 -0800

Dear CFers,

About a year ago I proposed three new cell-methods (mibs/mabs/mebs).
The proposal received some discussion, and what I infer from silence
as acquiescence. To those three methods I now propose adding a fourth:
tabs = total absolute value whose CF mehod would be encoded as
sum_absolute_value (or, if people prefer, total_absolute_value).
tabs is analogous to the existing "sum" statistic but is computed with
absolute values. Its utility is in computing statistics of quantities
whose magnitude not signedness is the key metric. Its omission in my
original proposal was an oversight.

The full set of recommendations could be implemented in CF by
inserting the following line into Table E.1. Cell Methods

http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.7/build/cf-conventions.html#appendix-cell-methods

cell_methods: Units: Description
maximum_absolute_value u Maximum absolute value
minimum_absolute_value u Minimum absolute value
mean_absolute_value u Mean absolute value
sum_absolute_value u The data values are representative of
a sum or accumulation of the absolute values over the cell.

Thoughts?

Best,
Charlie

On 2/20/15 00:55, David Hassell wrote:
> Hi Charlie,
>
>> the strings "maximum_absolute_value", "minimum_absolute_value",
>> and "mean_absolute_value". I suggest CF adopt this, or some
>> variant pursuant to discussion.
>
> Many apologies - for some reason, I failed to register this crucial
> sentence when I replied. I suppose that it's good that the same names
> were arrived at without prior knowledge.
>
> No objections from me, then.
>
> All the best,
>
> David
>
> ---- Original message from Charlie Zender (04PM 19 Feb 15)
>
>> Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 16:39:15 -0800
>> From: Charlie Zender <zender at uci.edu>
>> To: David Hassell <d.c.hassell at reading.ac.uk>
>> CC: CF Metadata Mail List <cf-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu>
>> Subject: Re: [CF-metadata] New cell_methods: mabs/mibs/mebs?
>>
>> Hello David,
>>
>> I use mabs/mebs/mibs as shorthand, not as cell_methods.
>> I suggest, and NCO implements, cell_methods with the longer
>> versions that you prefer. The command line operators of NCO
>> accept either full or abbreviated versions (to save typing
>> when conducting the operation itself).
>>
>> Now I see what you mean by the sentence in the appendix.
>> It could be read either way, and I read it the wrong way.
>> So I like your suggestion to clarify it.
>>
>> Charlie
>>
>> On 02/19/2015 04:27 PM, David Hassell wrote:
>>> Dear Charlie,
>>>
>>> I for one have no objection, in general, to new cell methods - I don't
>>> think that there are enough.
>>>
>>> Your suggestions (mabs/mibs/mebs) are clearly well defined, though I'm
>>> personally not so keen on the use of abbreviations. I've not seen
>>> these terms before, and wouldn't have guessed what they all mean. This
>>> is contrary to all of the other cell methods, which are unabbreviated
>>> and, I suspect, nearly universally understood.
>>>
>>> I dislike typing as much as anyone, but spelling them out is only 1 to
>>> 4 characters more than typing standard_deviation, the current longest
>>> method name:
>>>
>>> standard_deviation
>>> mean_absolute_value
>>> minimum_absolute_value