⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] cell measures for non-horizontal planes

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 16:10:17 +0100

Dear David

Thanks for noticing the incorrect standard_name in Example 7.3. It looks like
a defect to me too.

When Sect 7.2 was written, as far as I remember we had only horizontal area
in mind. As you say, the convention doesn't exclude areas which are functions
of non-horizontal axes, but that probably wasn't intended. So I think the
answer is that the situation is ambiguous, and it should be clarified by
explicitly allowing or disallowing non-horizontal areas as an "area" cell
measure. If they are not allowed, but you have use-case where they are
needed, a differently named measure should be proposed. I think that these
would be substantive changes to the convention either way, not defects.

The same applies to the standard_name. Either cell_area could have its
definition generalised, or a new standard_name could be added.

----- Forwarded message from David Hassell <d.c.hassell at reading.ac.uk> -----