⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] original_ensemble_size

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 08:59:08 +0000

Hello John, Karl et al

I'm not sure I agree with John's last statement. I think that an ensemble is a defined collection of members, so my need is the need for ensemble size to be defined explicitly.
The distinction that not all members may be present characterises the need for this metadata descriptor, rather than just using the dimension size of realization, which does not meet my requirement.

On reflection, I think that I prefer Karl's name of 'ensemble_size'

To restate my use case, I have a data set from an ensemble, where there is a coordinate variable called 'realization'. Let's say there are 23 members, this dimension is size 23.

I want to reference the number of members in the ensemble, whilst sub-setting the data variable in various ways.

The suggestion is to add a scalar coordinate to my original dataset, which contains the number of members in the ensemble. Then any sub-setting operation will retain this coordinate, and I will always be able to state that this member is member 0 of 23, 5 of 23 etc

One requirement I have is to slice this variable, to result in a 2D data array, 2 1D coordinate variables: latitude and longitude; with all other coordinates as scalars.

If it is reasonable to talk about an ensemble as a defined collection of members, then I agree with Karl, that a standard_name of 'ensemble_size' fits the bill. The description fits my use case nicely

many thanks
mark