⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Feedback on CMIP6 new variable request for RFMIP

From: Markus Fiebig <Markus.Fiebig>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 19:23:11 +0000

Dear Robert,

thanks for proposing these names, the syntax seems to go nicely along with those
names I proposed earlier and the following discussions. A few comments from my side:

 1. I can't really follow your reasoning for including the term "spectral" in
    your names. All optical aerosol properties I know of are spectrally
    dependant. This fact can the reflected by requiring a co-ordinate variable
    "wavelength" in the definition text following the variable, which has been
    done in earlier similar definitions. Omitting the term "spectral" would make
    the names less wordy.
 2. For the aerosol asymmetry factor / parameter, I'm familiar with the
    definition as the cosine weighted angular integral of the aerosol scattering
    phase function. For the property you describe, I know the term "backscatter
    fraction", i.e. the ratio of the integral over the scattering phase function
    in the backward hemisphere (backscatter coefficient) over the aerosol
    scattering coefficient.

Best regards,
Markus

Am 17.07.2015 um 22:51 schrieb Daniel Feldman:
> Dear CF Mailing List:
>
> Robert Pincus and I have been drafting a CMIP6 new variable request in support
> of diagnostics for the Radiative Forcing Model Intercomparison Project. One of
> the goals of this project is to test the instantaneous radiative forcing
> calculated by the CMIP models against benchmark line-by-line radiative
> transfer calculations. In order to achieve that goal, we will need the spatial
> and temporal distribution of spectrally-resolved aerosol optical properties,
> incoming solar insolation, and direct and diffuse surface albedo from each
> model as inputs to the benchmark calculations. Therefore, we propose to
> include the following CF Standard Names:
>
> 1. We propose using a CF standard name of
> "surface_spectral_hemispherical_reflectance_of_diffuse_shortwave_radiation"
> for surface spectrally-resolved diffuse albedo in the interests of specifying
> the surface boundary condition for the line-by-line radiative transfer
> benchmark calculations. In our original request, this variable was specified
> by the Short name "albdiff".
>
> 2. Similarly, we propose using a CF standard name of
> "surface_spectral_hemispherical_reflectance_of_direct_shortwave_radiation" for surface
> spectrally-resolved direct albedo, in the interests of specifying the surface
> boundary condition for the line-by-line radiative transfer benchmark
> calculations. In our original request, this variable was specified by the
> Short name "albdir".
>
> 3. We propose using a CF standard name of
> "toa_incoming_shortwave_flux_per_unit_wavelength" for spectrally-resolved
> top-of-atmosphere downwelling shortwave flux, in the interests of specifying
> the top-of-atmosphere boundary condition for the line-by-line radiative
> transfer benchmark calculations. In our original request, this variable was
> specified by the Short name "sol".
>
> 4. We propose using a CF standard name of
> "volume_spectral_extinction_coefficient_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles"
> or
> "spectral_volume_extinction_coefficient_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles" to
> specify the aerosol optical property of extinction for our benchmark radiative
> transfer calculations. We chose this name to indicate that this quantity can
> vary spectrally and thus is distinct from the existing
> variable "volume_extinction_coefficient_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol". In our
> original request, this variable was specified by the Short name "aerext"
>
> 5. We propose using a CF standard name of
> "volume_spectral_single_scattering_albedo_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles" to
> specify the aerosol optical property of single-scattering albedo (ratio of
> scattering to extinction) for our benchmark radiative transfer calculations.
> However, if the variable with short name "aerext" is
> "spectral_volume_extinction_coefficient_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles",
> then we would propose naming this variable
> [...]

Dr. Markus Fiebig
Senior Scientist
Dept. Atmospheric and Climate Research (ATMOS)
Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU)
P.O. Box 100
N-2027 Kjeller
Norway
Tel.: +47 6389-8235
Fax : +47 6389-8050
e-mail: Markus.Fiebig at nilu.no
skype: markus.fiebig
P Please consider the environment before printing this email and attachments