⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Feedback on CMIP6 new variable request for RFMIP

From: Daniel Feldman <drfeldman>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 13:51:43 -0700

Dear CF Mailing List:

Robert Pincus and I have been drafting a CMIP6 new variable request in
support of diagnostics for the Radiative Forcing Model Intercomparison
Project. One of the goals of this project is to test the instantaneous
radiative forcing calculated by the CMIP models against benchmark
line-by-line radiative transfer calculations. In order to achieve that
goal, we will need the spatial and temporal distribution of
spectrally-resolved aerosol optical properties, incoming solar insolation,
and direct and diffuse surface albedo from each model as inputs to the
benchmark calculations. Therefore, we propose to include the following CF
Standard Names:

1. We propose using a CF standard name of "surface_spectral_
hemispherical_reflectance_of_diffuse_shortwave_radiation" for surface
spectrally-resolved diffuse albedo in the interests of specifying the
surface boundary condition for the line-by-line radiative transfer
benchmark calculations. In our original request, this variable was
specified by the Short name "albdiff".

2. Similarly, we propose using a CF standard name of "surface_spectral_
hemispherical_reflectance_of_direct_shortwave_radiation" for surface
spectrally-resolved direct albedo, in the interests of specifying the
surface boundary condition for the line-by-line radiative transfer
benchmark calculations. In our original request, this variable was
specified by the Short name "albdir".

3. We propose using a CF standard name of
"toa_incoming_shortwave_flux_per_unit_wavelength"
for spectrally-resolved top-of-atmosphere downwelling shortwave flux, in
the interests of specifying the top-of-atmosphere boundary condition for
the line-by-line radiative transfer benchmark calculations. In our
original request, this variable was specified by the Short name "sol".

4. We propose using a CF standard name of "volume_spectral_extinction_
coefficient_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles" or "
spectral_volume_extinction_coefficient_in_air_due_to_
ambient_aerosol_particles" to specify the aerosol optical property of
extinction for our benchmark radiative transfer calculations. We chose this
name to indicate that this quantity can vary spectrally and thus is
distinct from the existing variable "volume_extinction_
coefficient_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol". In our original request, this
variable was specified by the Short name "aerext"

5. We propose using a CF standard name of "volume_spectral_single_
scattering_albedo_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles" to specify the
aerosol optical property of single-scattering albedo (ratio of scattering
to extinction) for our benchmark radiative transfer calculations. However, if
the variable with short name "aerext" is "spectral_volume_extinction_
coefficient_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles", then we would propose
naming this variable "spectral_volume_single_scattering_albedo_in_air_due_
to_ambient_aerosol_particles". In our original request, this variable was
specified by the Short name "aerssa"

6. We propose using a CF standard name of "volume_spectral_asymmetry_
factor_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles" to specify the aerosol
optical property of asymmetry factor (ratio of forward to backward
scattered energy) for our benchmark radiative transfer calculations. If the
variable with short name "aerext" is "spectral_volume_extinction_
coefficient_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles", then we would propose
naming this variable "spectral_volume_asymmetry_
factor_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles". In our original request,
this variable was specified by the Short name "aerasym".

We would like your feedback on this new variable request, so please don't
hesitate to contact me with any questions or comments.

Thanks so much,
Dan

--
Daniel Feldman, Ph.D.