⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Are cell_methods attributes OK for coordinate variables?

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 09:26:02 -0400

Charlie,

My thought is that you should not put a cell_methods attribute on a true
coordinate variable. A true coordinate variable is like a number line.
It is a set of numbers that should be thought of as independent of the
acquired data. This gets a bit fuzzy when it comes to a time variable
where the times come from the acquired data, but I think the concept
should be adhered to. If the time values truly end up being shifted
within each time bounds based on the distribution of the times of the
acquired data values, then it seems to me that the variable holding
these time values should be made an auxiliary coordinate variable
instead of a true coordinate variable. (That is, give the variable a
name that is different than the dimension name and associate it with the
data variable via the coordinates attribute.) Such a time variable would
be the equivalent of a latitude or longitude auxiliary coordinate
variable, where fill values, cell_methods, etc can be applied, as they
represent either acquired data values or transformations of underlying
independent coordinates. (The underlying independent coordinates don't
have to be present in the file.)

Anyway, that's my view. What do others think?

Grace and peace,

Jim

--
CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on