⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to define time coordinate in GPS?

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 14:36:46 -0400

Jonathan,

The point I'm trying to make about gregorian_nls is that it lacks any
mechanism for specifying which time system is being used for the timestamp
in the reference date & time. In Chris Little's terms (at least roughly),
gregorian_nls is incomplete because the timestamp in the reference date &
time lacks an associated epoch/origin. It is a calendar without an
associated CRS.

Take my example times in TAI, GPS and UTC from my previous email. Let's say
I wanted to set my reference date & time to that instant in history, and I
have a GPS timestamp. If I specified my calendar as gregorian_nls so I
could use my GPS timestamp, there is no way for a user of my file to know
that my timestamp was a GPS timestamp. They might assume it was a TAI
timestamp, and will then be 19 seconds off for every "absolute" time they
extract from the time variable elapsed time values.

For a complete representation, in Chris Little's terms, there must be a
CRS, a calendar, and a notation. gregorian_nls lacks a CRS. That's why I
suggested that we must either make a calendar for each different time
system, and add more as more people want to use more time systems, or we
state that the timestamp in the reference must be UTC. Declaring the
reference timestamp unambiguously as UTC doesn't force anyone to extract
absolute times from the time variable in UTC. It does require data
consumers to convert the UTC timestamp to GPS or TAI or whatever before
proceeding to extract absolute times from the time variable.

I'm OK with deprecating 'vanilla' gregorian, but there are so many cases
where it is sufficient even though it is incomplete that it seems a bit
draconian.

Grace and peace,

Jim

[image: CICS-NC] <http://www.cicsnc.org/>Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc>*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
*formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center*
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org
o: +1 828 271 4900

*Connect with us on Facebook for climate
<http://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
<http://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us on
Twitter at _at_NOAANCEIclimate
<http://www.twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate>and _at_NOAANCEIocngeo