⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] OGC Temporal Best Practice (draft). Was: [CF-2] Require PROJ.4 compatible... projection ... (#11)

From: Little, Chris <chris.little>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 13:42:30 +0000

Jim,

Good question!

Actually, there are two other categories of fundamental things in the OGC draft Best Practice doc:

1. An events regime (e.g. tree rings, ice cores, archaeological layers, king lists), where partial or full ordering can be deduced, but there is no actual ?measure? of time. The Allen algebraic operators can be applied (before, during, after, etc) but no subtraction or addition!

2. A TimeScale, such as TAI, where there are only ticks and an integer count from an origin/epoch (tick 0). Very physical. This is also the logical basis for relativistic time. Adding and subtracting of integers allowed.

A CRS is a timescale that has been interpolated between ticks and extrapolated backwards and forwards using normal real arithmetic.

In these term, I suppose that I posit the UTC as defined is TAI, converted to a CRS with one second ticks, plus a calendar (epoch displaced by quite a few seconds for solar and GPS alignment, Gregorian algorithms, IERS leap seconds)

So I think we agree, with perhaps a little terminology to be refined and thrashed out. Of course, we have also defined the SI second in there somewhere.

Chris