⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] flux

From: Seth McGinnis <mcginnis>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 16:25:17 -0600

I vote no.

As mentioned, using "flux" to refer to what is technically "flux
density" is commonplace and normal in many geoscience fields, and it's
clear by the lack of questions about it that this does not cause
problems for users.

Deprecating names and replacing them with an alias creates the
opportunity for confusion, and given the number and popularity of the
names that would be affected, I think this change would create a great
deal of confusion. A reasonable alternative solution
("integrated_flux") has been suggested for handling "proper" fluxes, and
as Karl says, we'd likely want to use that even if we did make the
change to avoid confusion with the old names.

So it seems to me that there's no real benefit to changing flux to
flux_density, and the potential for a very large downside.

Cheers,

--Seth McGinnis