⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name requests for TSI and SSI

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 22:23:23 +0100

Dear all

I think we should omit _at_1au because we can put it in the definition as a
default and that will make the standard name more general, as Jim notes. We
have other quantities defined that way, with a reference parameter that has
a default which could be overridden by specifying a value. In the names
originally proposed by Odele et al., the distance from the sun was specified
in the definition, not in the standard_name.

So far no-one has expressed a view on whether we should change flux to
flux_density in existing names. If we do that, then I think flux_density will
be better than irradiance, because of consistency, if there is no essential
distinction. On the other hand, if we stick with flux in all other names (for
m-2 quantities) then we could use irradiance in these new names, because the
proposers and others in their community would find a standard_name using flux
for W m-2 to be misleading. Let's see what other views are contributed about
"flux" versus "flux density".