⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Ancillary variables in coordinate variables (latitude, longitude, ...)

From: David Hassell <d.c.hassell>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 13:31:45 +0100

Hello Kristian, Jonathan and Jim,

I also agree with Jonathan's observations and I think that some
changes would be required to the conventions to make it clear that the
ancillary_variables attribute is meaningful when data variables are
used in other contexts (namely auxiliary coordinate and, why not,
measure variables). Something like:

* Change section 3.4 Ancillary Data to read from the beginning:

    "When one data variable provides metadata about the individual
     values of another data variable, auxiliary coordinate variable or
     measure variable it may be ..."

* Allow, in appendix A, the ancillary_variables attribute to be
  meaningful on auxiliary coordinate variables and measure variables
  as well as data variables. We'd need a some new letter codes for
  that, though ...

What do you think?

All the best,

David