⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical coordinates & boundaries

From: Maarten Sneep <maarten.sneep>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 18:40:16 +0100

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your answer.

On 19-02-15 18:22, Jim Biard wrote:
> Maarten,
>
> I believe that what your colleague should do is add a bounds variable
> for the pressure and reduce the number of elements in the hPa coordinate
> variable by one. The bounds variable provides a lower and upper bound
> for each layer, so it captures the value currently being stored in the
> extra element of the hPa coordinate variable. The values stored in the
> hPa coordinate variable can be the lower bound pressures, the upper
> bound pressures, or any value in between the two (layer center
> pressures, for example).

If I understand you correctly, something like this:

dimensions:
   lon = 360;
   lat = 180;
   layer = 18;
   vertices = 2;

variables:
    float lat(lat);
     lat:long_name = "latitude";
     lat:units = "degrees_north";
     lat:bounds = "lat_bnds";
   float lon(lon);
     lon:long_name = "longitude";
     lon:units = "degrees_east";
     lon:bounds = "lon_bnds";
   float layer(layer);
     layer:long_name = "layer index";
   float lat_bnds(lon,vertices);
   float lon_bnds(lat,vertices);
   float pressure(layer, lon, lat, vertices);
     pressure:long_name = "pressure grid";
     pressure:units = "hPa";
   float O3(layer, lon, lat);
     O3:bounds = "pressure";
     O3:units = "1e-9";

Of course the pressure grid he has, has no gaps, and this method is
somewhat wasteful in terms of storage space. I can see why he hesitates
to use this method, but I think this is indeed the way forward.

Kind regards,

Maarten Sneep
--
KNMI