⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] provisional status for changes to the convention

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 17:59:11 +0000

Dear John

> If we 'deprecate' a released version that has an error, presumably this just means it is no longer recommended for use? I assume data sets released with the flawed version shouldn't have to be re-released, if the flaw did not affect them.
Yes, I would agree with that. Depending on the nature of the error, we might
have to give advice on how to interpret them. It's not as simple as a standard
name alias.

> And I'm assuming any time a new CF version is released, it is considered the recommended version, and all CF users are encouraged to use it as they write new data sets. But I don't know that I've read that anywhere.

Yes, I agree with that too. I don't believe we have stated it explicitly but
it seems sensible, especially as we have not made any backward-incompatible
changes so far.