⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New UDUnits units for information: "byte" and "octet"

From: Steve Emmerson <emmerson>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 09:10:07 -0700

Jonathan,

I think you meant to say that if a physical quantity has a different
dimensionality (not unit), then we have to give it a different name.

In my opinion, what's needed in this case is a package that understands
co-ordinate transformations -- in order to convert, for example, values in
units of "1e15/cm2" to values in units of "mol/m2". This is a rather simple
example and Maarten makes a good (though not yet convincing to me) argument
for simply modifying the UDUNITS database. One can imagine, however, more
complicated cases in which simple unit conversions are not possible (e.g.,
converting between altitude and pressure). Such a package would be easily
capable of handling Maarten's conversion.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson