⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] how to indicate a variable representing a physical quantity is an observation, a modelled value, a difference or residual, etc.

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 14:03:48 +0000

Dear Aaron

> I think there's a reason CF names don't naturally distinguish between measured or observed values?CF names tend to describe the meaning of the value, and explicitly avoids saying how it was derived. The derivation is reserved to other attributes, like the 'source' (which should distinguish between a model and an observation, though not in a computable way), or 'history'.

I agree with this remark of John's. In fact, the main purpose of the CF
standard names is to indicate which quantities should be regarded as
comparable. Usually, we want to compare quantities derived from different
sources (such as obs and models), so we give the corresponding quantities the
same standard names, in order to indicate they can be meaningfully compared:
that they are apples from different trees, rather than apples and oranges.