⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for eddy flux variables

From: Sean Davis <sean.m.davis>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 12:37:31 -0700

Hi all,

I am involved in the SPARC Reanalysis Intercomparison Project (S-RIP), and we are constructing a set of reanalysis netCDF files for our project. Our goal is to make these files publicly accessible, and we would like for them to be CF-compliant.

However, we have run into some confusion with the naming convention for eddy flux variables, and are hoping that you can clarify whether or not a mechanism exists for making these variables CF-compliant.

We are trying to save various combinations of ?prime? variables (i.e., deviations from the zonal mean), and in particular zonal means of various combinations of these variables. Examples include things like u?v?, v?T?, omega?T?, etc.

We have looked at the ?Standard name table? (http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/27/build/cf-standard-name-table.html), and don?t find any names that are suitable for these variables. There are some names that are close, such as ?product_of_eastward_wind_and_air_temperature?, but nothing for primed variables as far as I could tell.

Have we missed something, or is there no way to give these types of variables names that are CF compliant? Is it possible to put in a request to add these to the standard name table?

Thanks,
Sean Davis

Sean Davis
NOAA ESRL Chemical Sciences Division