⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] string valued coordinates

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 16:38:12 +0000

Hello Jim

> A variable with no units attribute at all is also pretty unambiguously a marker for something that isn't intended to be a even a pure number.

If only this were the case. CF conventions state that:
Units are not required for dimensionless quantities. A variable with no units attribute is assumed to be dimensionless. However, a units attribute specifying a dimensionless unit may optionally be included.
http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.6/build/cf-conventions.html#units

Thus, the absence of a unit is to be interpreted identically to a statement that
units = '1'

This is the current situation and it is likely that there is lots of data like this around.

> Do we really need something more than a disambiguation of units = '1' vs no units attribute present?

Yes, I think we do: this situation is not ambiguous in CF, they are the same thing.

What I believe we require is a udunits entity which is clearly 'there is no unit of measure here, this is not dimensioned and not dimensionless'

The udunits value
''
delivers this functionality (I think), but it does not read very well, hence my suggestion that we ask for a new entry in udunits,
'no_unit'
which is hopefully clear in its meaning and interpretation
and which behaves the same as '' : failing all udunits processing attempts and operating as 'not a unit'

all the best
mark