⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] string valued coordinates

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:18:49 -0400

Mark,

I'm not clear on what you are suggesting that udunits do with 'no_unit'
or '?'.

I had thought that the desire was to be able to differentiate between a
pure number (as you mention below) and a value (whether a string or a
bit pattern) that should not be interpreted as any number at all.

As the situation stands, a units value of '1' is pretty unambiguously a
marker for a pure number. We may need to modify docs to make this
clearer, but I don't think that poses a problem. A variable with no
units attribute at all is also pretty unambiguously a marker for
something that isn't intended to be a even a pure number. Again, we may
need to modify docs to make this clearer. Because these two concepts are
somewhat conflated in the current documentation and usage (area_type
being an example), there is the issue of other places where cleanup
would be good going forward, but even if you have a units value of '1'
on a non-number, it doesn't hurt anything in practice.

Do we really need something more than a disambiguation of units = '1' vs
no units attribute present?

Grace and peace,

Jim