⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Rotated pole definition

From: DeTracey, Brendan <Brendan.DeTracey>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 11:53:58 +0000

Thanks for the replies. Shouldn?t the second rotation angle be pi/2-grid_north_pole_latitude?

To visualize I was holding a water bottle and imagining the rotations to get the north pole at 0N,-90E. First rotation 90 about the north pole(z). Second rotation has to be 90 degrees(not 0) about the new east-west(y?) axis (perpendicular to the new prime meridian).

The euler angle convention matches the fourth case(intrinsic) on the euler angle Wikipedia page: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_angles#Conventions)
i.e. 4. z-y?-z? (intrinsic rotations)
with the angles ordered pi + grid_north_pole_longitude, pi/2 - grid_north_pole_latitude, north_pole_grid_longitude

If so, this really needs to be more clearly stated in the reference. I came here because I could not get a clear answer for these same parameters for the Climate Data Operators, and then assumed they were taken from CF.

Thanks again,
Brendan
Brendan DeTracey
brendan.detracey at dfo-mpo.gc.ca<mailto:brendan.detracey at dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
(902)426-9727 3-30 VS
Marine Ecosystem Section / Section de l'?cosyst?me marin