⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Rotated pole definition

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 11:13:33 +0000

Hello Brendan

I believe the intent of the rotated pole grid mapping definition is to describe a polar coordinate reference system, based on the earth, but with a different axis of rotation.

To do this, a new north pole location is specified in the earth polar coordinate reference system by
 - grid_north_pole_latitude
 - grid_north_pole_longitude
This defines a point on the surface of the non-rotated system. A new rotational axis is defined through this location and the centre of the body.
A further rotation is then applied about this new axis, as defined by:
 - north_pole_grid_longitude (optional, default 0).

For a spherical geometry, this is equivalent to 3 rotation transforms of the basis (theta,phi) (ordered operation):
 - rotate in the theta-hat direction by:
 - Pi + grid_north_pole_longitude
 - rotate in the phi-hat direction by:
 - grid_north_pole_latitude
 - rotate in the theta-hat direction by:
 - north_pole_grid_longitude | 0

This provides a new basis which coordinates may be defined with respect to.

I keep an inflatable globe on my desk to help me with this. I have not found a clear diagram on line which illustrates this unambiguously, or managed to draw one for myself; I would like to.

I hope this information is correct and useful.

mark