⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposals for Versioning CF Conventions and Standard Names on Github

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:29:20 -0700

First, to my knowledge the existing 1.6 and 1.7 are in Markdown already. I thought that was settled? And the standard names are in XML, and that is settled.

Then, I wasn't sure if Rich's proposal was with respect to the 1.x/2.x division? Or is it only about the documents inside CF currently? We can deal with the latter point first, but overall we should consider the advantages going forward as well.

Rich, before answering Jonathan's question, I want to test one of your strategies. You say
> Since we have two different version tracked documents (the CF Standard Name list and the CF Conventions document), we should have two different repositories. Then for each repository, instead of multiple entire documents tracked separately, we should have just evolving document that can be tagged with release numbers when specific versions are approved.
I'm not a git guru, but it is often the case that Git repositories contain multiple tracked documents in a single repository. Their changes are still managed independently, on separate branches, unless the changes are tightly coupled. (Note there are more tracked documents than just those two, CF has several vocabularies that also should be tracked as part of the standard.)

So I want to refine your proposal to say yes, let's use branches, but not to split out the pieces of the standard into separate repositories. The overhead in maintaining repositories will be high and the benefit low.

But I think the original idea to use Git branches has merit, and may be what the other responders were agreeing with. To refine that argument:

Imagine that any trac ticket discussion could be accompanied by a version of the standard that showed the proposal under discussion (or, if there were multiple proposals under discussion, there could be 3 versions). These versions can be modified to reflect updates in the proposals -- and can also be updated to stay aligned with changes in the baseline 1.x document. Changes between any two versions (the original and a proposed version, two proposed versions, or the last and current revision of a proposed version) can be easily identified with the diff utilities in git.

As new variants get spawned or old ones deposed, the github branches are created or removed accordingly. Anyone using git can have their own fork on their own computer, which then constantly follows the current state of play of the proposed versions.

For complex changes involving multiple parts of the standard, it will be really handy to be able to see all the proposed changes 'live' in one document. Even more so when the baseline 1.x document is changing, and those changes can be trivially incorporated (where appropriate) into the 2.x versions.

John