⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Return periods

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 17:42:32 +0100

Dear Dan

> Given that cumulative probabilities may be of general interest to other users, would it be helpful to add "X_converted_to_cumulative_probability" to the list of transformations in the Guidelines for Standard Names?

Yes, if this standard name is agreed.

> Given that the meaning of each transformation is defined in the Guidelines, is it necessary to request a new standard name if I am simply combining an existing transformation with an existing standard name?

Yes. We agree all standard names explicitly, to give a chance for discussion.
For instance, it is possible that applying a rule to an existing standard name
might give a result that some people consider to be nonsensical, or there might
be another name for that quantity derived in a different way. The guidelines
are intended to assist proposers of new standard names. If proposals follow
existing patterns and vocabulary, agreeing them is usually easy.