⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] vertical dimension for subseafloor measurements

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 17:22:38 +0100

Dear Nan

> There are no other depth_below_X variables on the list, though. In the long
> run, I think we should add a mandatory 'reference surface' attribute to the
> "plain" depth variable. Have we had that discussion, at least in part?

That issue has come up. The standard_names "height" and "depth" are defined
wrt *the* surface, in the sense in which "surface" is used in other standard
names i.e. the bottom of the atmosphere. They *could* be aliased to new
standard_names height_above_surface and depth_below_surface, but they are
very commonly used standard_names, so this would impose a substantial penalty
in cumbersomeness for new data.

depth_below_sea_floor would be a fine standard name to add, I agree.