⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Date/time and leap seconds

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:14:56 -0400

John,

I'm afraid that your response has confused me quite a lot. If you don't
mind, please clarify what you mean by "udunits does not support leap
seconds". TAI does not use leap seconds. It is a running count of
seconds since Jan 1, 1958 00:00:00 UTC. UTC time messes around with leap
seconds in order to account for the fact that a day is not exactly
864000 seconds long, and that the rotation rate varies over time. The
leap seconds are used to keep time/date "strings" synchronized to the
diurnal cycle, much the same way that leap days are used to keep date
strings synchronized to the Vernal Equinox.

I think this problem may have more to do with the conversion from
time/date strings to counts of seconds and back than anything about the
counts of seconds themselves.

Grace and peace,

Jim

A true count of seconds since an epoch matches the approach of TAI, not UTC.