⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] mole_concentration_of_air_in_air?

From: Steve Emmerson <emmerson>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 10:13:07 -0600

Andreas,

Your quantity is a specific instance of the generic quantity
"amount-of-substance concentration" (SI unit: "mol/m^3"). Thus, reasonable
names for it according to http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec08.html would
be "amount-of-air concentration", "air-molecules concentration", or
"molecules-of-air concentration" -- all with the same SI unit.

I dislike names for physical quantities that incorporate the unit in them
(e.g., "mole concentration") because it can lead to cognitive dissonance if
the quantity's associated unit differs from the one in the name (e.g.,
"mole concentration" in units of "molecules/meter^3"). I accept the advice
from standards organizations like the NIST that the names of quantities
should be unit-independent (consider the quantity "kilogram fraction"
compared to "mass fraction").

I'm well aware that this runs counter to several customs.

More information can be found at the above URL.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson