⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] String attribute syntax

From: David Hassell <d.c.hassell>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 11:50:01 +0100

Hello Brigitte,

Yes - netCDF string valued attributes can contain spaces, commas and
many (any?) other characters, such as +, -, _, (, ), etc. So,

  institute_id = "INSTITUTE1, INSTITUTE2, and INSTITUTE3";

is fine. For a few attributes (like standard_name) a limited character
set is required to be CF compliant.

One last thought: I don't know exactly what your data are, but perhaps
the CF attribute "institution" would be a better choice of attribute
name (http://cfconventions.org/1.6.html#description-of-file-contents)?

Hope that helps.

All the best,

David