⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Daily climatology?

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 09:54:41 +0100

Dear Jim and Seth

I agree that option 1 of sect 7.4 is the right one for this case i.e. time:
mean within years time: mean within years. That describes what you have done.
Within each year, you make a mean over (for instance) Jan 1 0000 to Jan 2 0000.
Then you have a mean over years of these daily means.

I agree you could encode time with the noleap/365_day calendar if you don't
want to provide a 29 Feb climatological mean; if you do want to provide one,
you could code the time with the all_leap/366_day calendar. It's just an
encoding really, and doesn't imply anything about the original data; when
forming a climatological mean for the real world you are inevitably making
some compromises with the precision of the calendar.

Cheers

Jonathan