⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Daily climatology?

From: Seth McGinnis <mcginnis>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 15:52:05 -0600

Jim,

Hmm, good question. Looking at the examples in section 7.4 in more
detail, I'm no longer certain about my proposed cell_methods string.

If you were using option 3, I do think 'point' would be the method to go
in the 'over days' slot. That method describes how values are
aggregated over days and months, and it says in Appendix E that the
'point' method indicates that the values are "representative of points
in time and space", which I take to mean that at that scale they are not
aggregated at all.

However, I think your description of how the option 1 case would work
makes a lot of sense, also.

I guess the ambiguity creeps in because there are two natural cycles
that we can construct climatologies over: the daily cycle and the annual
cycle. Option 1 is for annual-cycle climatologies, option 2 is for the
daily cycle, and option 3 is for both. You're dealing with both cycles,
but since you're averaging over the entire day, your climatology is
degenerate in the daily cycle. So it's analogous to having a singleton
dimension, and the question is, do you leave it in as a placeholder
(option 3), or drop it (option 1)?

My opinion is that it would probably be valid to do it either way, but
when in doubt, one should go for the simpler option. So I'll abandon my
previous recommendation and say use option 1 as you have described it
here. That seems like it is the mostly likely to be interpreted
correctly anyway.

Cheers,

--Seth