⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Clarifications on latitude_longitude

From: Maik Riechert <maik.riechert>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 17:37:04 +0200

Hi Jim

Thanks for the detailed explanations.

If a spherical earth (of a certain radius) is the default, shouldn't it
be defined as such? Otherwise, having latitude and longitude coordinates
without a datum, as in example 5.2, would represent (partially) useless
data, quoting ISO: "without the full specification of the coordinate
reference system, coordinates (that is latitude and longitude) are
ambiguous at best and meaningless at worst".

As for the coordinate variables, just to be sure, let's visualize it a bit:
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/images/ESC/large/ISS030/ISS030-E-84614.JPG

Let's assume for each pixel center I know the latitude and longitude --
for those pixels covering the earth. That gives me each an auxiliary 2D
coordinate array for latitude and longitude. It is an irregular grid of
course. I would model this data as:

dimensions:
xc = 4256 ;
yc = 2832 ;
band = 3 ; // red, green, blue
variables:
byte img(yc,xc,band) ;
img:long_name = "color intensity" ;
img:units = "unitless" ;
img:valid_min = 0 ;
img:valid_max = 255 ;
img:coordinates = "lon lat" ;
img:grid_mapping = "crs";
float lon(yc,xc) ;
lon:standard_name = "longitude" ;
lon:long_name = "longitude" ;
lon:units = "degrees_east" ;
float lat(yc,xc) ;
lat:standard_name = "latitude" ;
lat:long_name = "latitude" ;
lat:units = "degrees_north" ;
int crs ;
crs:grid_mapping_name = "latitude_longitude";
crs:semi_major_axis = 6378137.0 ;
crs:inverse_flattening = 298.257223563 ;

Is that correct? I am new to the field so please don't hesitate to give
any kind of suggestion :)

Cheers
Maik