⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] sigma_naught

From: Lauret Olivier <olauret>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 10:17:40 +0200

Dear John,

I confirm that 'surface_backwards_scattering_coefficient_of_radar_wave' may certainly fit your needs. As you will notice it is expressed with "1" as units, instead of dB, because dB are not literally considered as units and then are not available in UDUNITS package.

Best regards,

Olivier

Olivier Lauret

Project Engineer, CLS

Satellite Oceanography Division, Environmental Applications Dept.

E-mail: olauret at cls.fr

Tel. +33 561 394 851; Fax +33 561 393 782

De : CF-metadata [mailto:cf-metadata-bounces at cgd.ucar.edu] De la part de Niedfeldt, John C (398M-Affiliate)
Envoy? : lundi 19 mai 2014 17:11
? : cf-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu
Objet : [CF-metadata] sigma_naught

Dear all,

Radar Scatterometers, such as QuikSCAT, are used to measure the winds over the oceans, Arctic and Antarctic ice age, track icebergs, among other things by measuring a value called sigma naught, also known in the radar community as the normalized radar cross-section or backscatter coefficient. Due to a significant effort to reprocess multiple sigma naught datasets to netCDF format, which shall be hosted at the Physical Oceanography Distributed Active Archive Center (http://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov <http://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/> ) for public distribution, I propose the following standard_name definition be added to the CF standard name:

standard_name:

sigma_naught

Definition:

sigma_naught refers to the normalized radar cross section, also known in the microwave remote sensing community as the backscatter coefficient.

Canonical Units:

dB

Sincerely,

John Niedfeldt