⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposed Standard Name: radius_of_tropical_cyclone_central_dense_overcast_region

From: Gary Meehan <gmeehan>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:35:49 -0400

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for your insight.

Here is how I would like to propose the definition for this new standard
name. Summarizing:

Standard_Name: radius_of_tropical_cyclone_central_dense_overcast_region

Canonical_Units: m

Definition:

The average radius of a central region of clouds in tropical cyclones
lacking well-defined eye features,
which is computed by averaging the great circle distance in four
cardinal directions. The radius in
each direction is measured from the estimated storm center position to a
warm point that exceeds a
threshold brightness temperature at top of atmosphere limit. The
threshold applied should be recorded
in a coordinate variable having the standard_name of
toa_brightness_temperature. A coordinate
variable of radiation_wavelength,
sensor_band_central_radiation_wavelength, or radiation_frequency
may be specified to indicate that the brightness temperature applies at
specific wavelengths or frequencies.

Sincerely,

Gary