⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposed Standard Name: tropical_cyclone_eye_temperature

From: Gary Meehan <gmeehan>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:03:59 -0400

Dear CF Board:

I'd like to follow up on the definition of the standard name,
tropical_cyclone_eye_brightness_temperature,
based on discussions that we have been having in recent days concerning
certain standard name
definitions related to hurricane-related metrics.

To summarize:

standard name: tropical_cyclone_eye_brightness_temperature

Canonical Units: K

Definition:

The warmest brightness temperature value in the eye region of a tropical
cyclone derived using the
Advanced Dvorak Technique, based on satellite observations.
Brightness_temperature of a body
is the temperature of a black body which radiates the same power per
unit solid angle per unit area.
A coordinate variable of radiation_wavelength,
sensor_band_central_radiation_wavelength, or
radiation_frequency may be specified to indicate that the brightness
temperature applies at specific
wavelengths or frequencies.

Sincerely,

Gary