⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Editing/publishing workflow

From: Hattersley, Richard <richard.hattersley>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:35:19 +0000

Hi all,

I've recently been dipping into the UGRID conventions (https://github.com/ugrid-conventions/ugrid-conventions) and was struck by how pleasant the editing/publishing workflow was. Clearly from a content complexity point of view the UGRID conventions are smaller and simpler than CF so a direct comparison is not possible, but to help illustrate some of the possibilities I've prepared a cut-down demo version of the CF conventions document using GitHub and "Read the Docs".

The published versions of the demo are available from: http://cf-conventions.readthedocs.org. I've set the default version to 1.6, but by using the options in the bottom-left corner of the page it is possible to view 1.7-draft.1 instead. There is also a PDF option, but that currently has a few quirks which I've not attempted to address. NB. By ticking a box in GitHub, these published versions are automatically updated whenever the underlying content changes.

The underlying "source code" is defined using reStructuredText (reST) markup for processing by the Spinx document generator. It is hosted on GitHub at: https://github.com/cf-metadata/cf-conventions. I created the reST markup using an off-the-shelf HTML-to-reST converter but it did require some subsequent manual tweaks.

I've also created a simple "pull request" to illustrate what happens when someone proposes a change: https://github.com/cf-metadata/cf-conventions/pull/1. NB. By default GitHub shows the changes in the source code, but it can also show a rendered version of the changes, much like the strikeout/highlight style used in the current workflow: https://github.com/cf-metadata/cf-conventions/pull/show/1/files/e7c8459#diff-e7c84590262562a10e9fb4cf714098d3

Is there interest in taking this further?

Richard Hattersley
Benevolent Dictator of Iris - a CF library for Python: www.scitools.org.uk/iris<http://www.scitools.org.uk/iris>
Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter Devon EX1 3PB United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 885702
Email: richard.hattersley at metoffice.gov.uk<mailto:richard.hattersley at metoffice.gov.uk> Web: www.metoffice.gov.uk<http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/>