⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] can a cell method be an attribute of an auxiliary coordinate variable ?

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 15:23:31 +0000

Dear Jim

> Regarding using area vs latitude or longitude, I was following the third paragraph of section 7.3.4:
>
> ? For longitude, the domain is indicated according to this provision by the string "longitude" (rather than the name of a longitude coordinate variable), and this implies that the method applies to all possible longitudes ?
>
> Am I right in thinking that your suggestion of using area instead would depend on how we are calculating the longitude and latitude?

You could put "latitude: mean" for latitude if that is more representative
of what you have done. I assumed that you had calculated the mean latitude over
the whole area of the cyclone, which might imply giving equal weight to each
element of area rather than to each latitude. I don't have a clear picture of
what the calculation is and I think the distinction is quite subtle. The
cell_methods is not a detailed record of processing. It doesn't record anything
in a standardised way about weighting, for instance, but you can describe that
in the () comment.

Cheers

Jonathan