⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] can a cell method be an attribute of an auxiliary coordinate variable ?

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 18:34:39 +0000

Dear Randy

I think the answer is Yes and No! Only a data variable can have cell_methods,
but there is no prohibition on referring to a data variable as an aux coord var
by pointing to it from the coordinates attribute of another data variable.
So the air_pressure variable could be a data variable with an appropriate
cell_methods attribute, which would take the form "PIXEL: median" where PIXEL
is the name of some dimension which was collapsed to calculate the median.
Maybe this dimension does not exist, though? In that case I think it might
make sense to put "area: median". This would mean the median of all the values
within the area of that cell.

Cheers

Jonathan

----- Forwarded message from "rhorne at excaliburlabs.com" <rhorne at excaliburlabs.com> -----