⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name request for a satellite pixel-level cloud mask

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:49:40 -0500

Kris,

If you look at the definition of cloud_area_fraction, it doesn?t imply any averaging or ratio. It is the fraction of the cell that is cloudy. It could be fine for your purposes, but if you would like to make it more clear that it is binary, I?d suggest we create a standard name of cloud_binary_mask. This would be like land_binary_mask, with a definition of

X_binary_mask has 1 where condition X is met, 0 elsewhere. 1 = cloudy, 0 = clear sky.

This also avoids adding satellite specificity to a general concept that can be used for other purposes.

Grace and peace,

Jim

Visit us on
Facebook Jim Biard
Research Scholar
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC
North Carolina State University
NOAA's National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org