⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name request for a satellite pixel-level cloud mask

From: Bedka, Kristopher M. <kristopher.m.bedka>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 17:42:54 +0000

We are detecting cloudy and clear sky pixels using a combination passive infrared and visible satellite imagery. The community typically calls this product a "cloud mask", i.e. byte value 0=clear sky pixel, 1=cloudy pixel. I am reviewing the CF Standard Name table and I see no name that would correspond to this type of product. I see the name "cloud_area_fraction", but the concept of "fraction" would imply that one considers several pixels in a region and computes the ratio of cloudy pixels relative to the total number of pixels in the region. This is not being done with our processing. I'd recommend something like "cloudy_satellite_pixel_detection", but am open to other suggestions

Kris

Kristopher Bedka
Senior Research Scientist
Science Systems & Applications, Inc. _at_ NASA Langley Research Center
Climate Science Branch
1 Enterprise Parkway, Suite 200
Hampton, VA 23666
Primary Office Phone: (757) 864-5798