⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name requests

From: Bedka, Kristopher M. <kristopher.m.bedka>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:42:15 +0000

Hello:

My group is producing a climate data record (CDR) of satellite-based cloud property retrievals in support of the NOAA CDR program. When we do our retrievals, we do not directly retrieve parameters at cloud top but rather at some depth within the cloud where the infrared radiation is emitted. We call this depth within the cloud the "cloud radiative center". I see that NetCDF standard names exist for cloud top parameters, but none for the cloud radiative center. So I propose that the following new standard names be added to the list. Perhaps the wording could be adjusted to some degree, but we have to incorporate the concept of cloud radiative center into the name

height_at the_cloud_radiative_center
air_temperature_at_the_cloud_radiative_center
pressure_at_the_cloud_radiative_center

Kris

Kristopher Bedka
Senior Research Scientist
Science Systems & Applications, Inc. _at_ NASA Langley Research Center
Climate Science Branch
1 Enterprise Parkway, Suite 200
Hampton, VA 23666
Primary Office Phone: (757) 864-5798