⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Suggest Amending the Dimension to geopotential_height_at_volcanic_ash_cloud_top

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:23:21 +0000

Dear Gary

Thanks for your email. Actually, I would argue that it's right as it stands,
for two reasons:

* I think the unit really is a metre. Geopotential height is geopotential
(canonically J kg-1 = m2 s-2) divided by gravitational acceleration (m s-2).

* geopotential metre is not a udunit.

I think this example is a good one to show that we don't generally use units
in CF to indicate the quantity, because the latter is the purpose of the
standard name. There are some exceptions, which CF inherited from COARDS,
which did not offer standard names.

----- Forwarded message from Gary Meehan <gmeehan at aer.com> -----