⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to handle a forecast model with non-monotonic coordinate variables

From: Signell, Richard <rsignell>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 15:49:46 -0500

CF folks,

Many ocean models have curvilinear grids, but most of the ones I've
encountered have 2D coordinate variables lon,lat that are monotonic
and have no missing_values.

The NOAA forecast model for the St. Johns River Operational Forecast
System, however, has a complex geometry, and used a grid generator
that allowed for "cuts" in the grid, so that in the resulting grid
system lthe coordinate variables on/lat are not monotonic and have
missing values.

I did an experiment to see if I could fill in the missing lon/lat
values via interpolation, but this exercise only made it clear that
this cannot work, as the data being interpolated are not monotonic.

Check out the first figure here to see the issue:
https://www.wakari.io/sharing/bundle/rsignell/SJROFS

Is there any way this operational forecast data could be made to be CF
compliant?

Thanks,
Rich
--