⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names linked to melt ponds on sea ice

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 16:53:18 +0000

Dear Thomas

> In my understanding, sea_ice_area_fraction refers to sea ice concentration as seen "from below" (where area(ice)+area(ocean water) = area(cell)).

Yes, I think so too. Sea ice with melt ponds is still sea ice. In terms of
area types, sea = ice_free_sea + sea_ice.

You need a new area_type. I would say that sea_ice_melt_pond would be clear.
I believe they are pretty much always called "melt ponds", aren't they, rather
than "meltwater ponds". Given a new area_type, it is not necessary to have a
new standard_name as well, since you could use the generic area_fraction.