⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names linked to melt ponds on sea ice

From: Thomas Lavergne <t.lavergne>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 12:14:45 +0000 (UTC)

Dear all,

During early summer, especially in the Arctic, melt water ponds form on top of sea ice. Seen from above, there are thus 3 types of surfaces: "sea ice", "melt ponds", "ocean water" (in between the ice floes). Seen from below, there are only 2 area types: "sea ice", and "ocean water".

In my understanding, sea_ice_area_fraction refers to sea ice concentration as seen "from below" (where area(ice)+area(ocean water) = area(cell)).

Particularly, adding melt water in ponds on top of sea ice (where area(ice)+area(melt ponds)+area(ocean water)=area(cell)) does not modify the ice concentration, hence the sea_ice_area_fraction.

Is that correct?

In any case, I would like your advice for standardized naming of:

a new area type for melt ponds. Should it be "melt_pond" or "melt_water_pond", or should it specify that this is on top of sea ice "melt_water_pond_at_top_of_sea_ice".

"melt pond area fraction": area(melt ponds)/(area(melt ponds)+area(ocean water)+area(sea ice)). "melt_pond_at_top_of_sea_ice_area_fraction"?

"melt pond free sea ice area fraction": area(sea ice)/(area(melt ponds)+area(ocean water)+area(sea ice)). "melt_pond_free_sea_ice_area_fraction"?

I would need these names for better defining upcoming satellite products of ice concentration and melt pond area fraction.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Thomas