⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] HTAP2 Final proposal = 102 CF Standard Names

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 03:05:28 +0000

Dear Brigitte and all,

     please find below a few comments -- I only copied those names on which I made a comment.

Thanks again for this effort!

Martin

> -----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

There is an issue with "PM10 emissions" in that this term is somewhat ambiguous and obviously a diagnostic, because models will generally emit BC, OC, SO4, etc. rather than PM10. I would argue that this standard_name is nevertheless useful, but the definition should make this diagnostic aspect clear.

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_pm2p5_dry_aerosol_due_to_emission
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
Same as above

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_pm10_seasalt_dry_aerosol_due_to_emission
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
Same as above

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_pm10_dust_dry_aerosol_due_to_emission
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
Same as above

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_pm2p5_seasalt_dry_aerosol_due_to_emission
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
Same as above

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_pm2p5_dust_dry_aerosol_due_to_emission
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
Same as above

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_nmvoc_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_emission
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
The definition string should contain a clear recommendation to add a comment attribute that details which VOC are contained in "nmvoc" for this model

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_nmvoc_due_to_emission*
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
The definition string should contain a clear recommendation to add a comment attribute that details which VOC are contained in "nmvoc" for this model

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_alkanes_due_to_emission
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
The definition string should contain a clear recommendation to add a comment attribute that details which VOC are contained in "alkanes" for this model

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_alkenes_due_to_emission
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
The definition string should contain a clear recommendation to add a comment attribute that details which VOC are contained in "alkenes" for this model

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_aromatic_compounds_due_to_emission
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
The definition string should contain a clear recommendation to add a comment attribute that details which VOC are contained in "aromatic_compounds" for this model. Maybe it would be better to say "aromatic_voc" (if oxygenated compounds can be included) or "aromatic_hydrocarbon" (if you consider only C-H molecules)

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_biogenic_nmvoc_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_emission
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
The definition string should contain a clear recommendation to add a comment attribute that details which VOC are contained in "biogenic_voc" for this model

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_secondary_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol_due_to_pseudo_emission.
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
> Definition: pseudo_emission means that the model does not calculate the
> particulate organic matter formed within the atmosphere from gaseous
> precursors but uses a pseudo emission instead.
Hmmm. Does it really make sense to come up with a new term "pseudo_emission" here? I guess for the model (i.e. mathematically) this is an emission. In the physical world this doesn't happen, but is this pertinent here? I would suggest to rename to "..._due_to_emission" and state in the definition that secondary organic aerosol are (of course) not directly emitted, but that emissions can be defined as a model concept.

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_monoterpenes_due_to_emission
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
> Definition: Monoterpenes are a class of terpenes that consist of two
> isoprene units and have the molecular formula C10H16.
The definition should at least recommend to include a comment attribute detailing which monoterpenes are considered in the model

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sesquiterpenes_due_to_emission
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
> Definition: Sesquiterpenes are a class of terpenes that consist of three
> isoprene units and have the molecular formula C15H24.
The definition should recommend to include a comment attribute detailing which sesquiterpenes are considered in the model

> 2. DEPOSITIONS
> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_organic_nitrates_due_to_dry_deposition
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
> Definition: organic nitrates are nitrogen-containing compounds, general
> formula RONO2, where R is an alkyl (or organic) group.
The definition should recommend to include a comment attribute detailing which organic nitrates are considered in the model

> 3. MASS MIXING RATIO
no comments

> 4. MOLE MIXING RATIO
> Proposed new standard name: mole_fraction_of_alkenes_in_air
> Unit: mol mol-1
The definition should recommend to include a comment attribute detailing which alkenes are considered in the model

> Proposed new standard name:
> mole_fraction_of_carbon_monoxide_with_lifetime_of_25_days_in_air
> Unit: mol mol-1
> Definition: idealized CO-like tracer with 25-days lifetime
I believe that this goes too far for CF. I would advocate to use a more general term for this kind of tracer and demand the use of the comment attribute plus a new "tracer_lifetime" attribute. Example:
mole_fraction_of_synthetic_tracer_with_fixed_lifetime_in_air
tracer_lifetime : "25 days"
comment : "CO-like tracer with simple exponential decay loss term and a lifetime of 25 days."

> Proposed new standard name:
> mole_fraction_of_carbon_monoxide_with_lifetime_of_50_days_in_air
> Unit: mol mol-1
> Definition: idealized CO-like tracer with 50-days lifetimes
Same as above

> 5. OTHER GASEOUS AND AEROSOL VARIABLES.

> Proposed new standard name:
> photolysis_rate_of_ozone_to_1D_oxygen_atom
> Unit: s-1
> Definition: "photolysis" is a chemical reaction in which a chemical compound
> is broken down by photons. "1D oxygen atom" means the 1D excited state of
> the oxygen atom.
The definition shouldn't use the jargon "1D" but state the singlett D state of...

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mole_concentration_of_methane_due_to_chemical_destruction
> Unit: mole m-3 s-1
> Definition: "chemical destruction" means the result of all chemical reactions
> within the atmosphere that destroy a particular species.
Suggested rephrase of the definition: "chemical destruction" means the result of all chemical reactions
within the medium (here: atmosphere) that remove a certain amount of a particular species from the medium.

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_of_mole_concentration_of_carbon_monoxide_due_to_chemical_destruction
> Unit: mole m-3 s-1
> Definition: "chemical destruction" means the result of all chemical reactions
> within the atmosphere that destroy a particular species.
Same as above

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mole_concentration_of_ozone_due_to_chemical_destruction
> Unit: mole m-3 s-1
> Definition: "chemical destruction" means the result of all chemical reactions
> within the atmosphere that destroy a particular species.
Same as above

> Proposed new standard name:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mole_concentration_of_ozone_due_to_chemical_production
> Unit: mole m-3 s-1
Suggested definition: "chemical production" means the result of all chemical reactions
within the medium (here: atmosphere) that lead to formation of a particular species in the medium.

> Proposed new standard name: rate_of_hydroxyl_radical_destruction_due_to_reaction_with_nmvoc
> Unit: s-1
> Definition: The (reaction) rate is the rate at which the reactants of a chemical
> reaction form the products. The "hydroxyl radical destruction due to reaction
> with nmvoc" is the NMVOC reactivity with regard to reactions with OH. It is
> the sum of the reactivity of all individual NMVOC species with OH.
Small change in definition: "... weighted sum of the reactivity..."

> Proposed new standard name:
> surface_net_downward_mass_flux_of_ammonia
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
> Definition: "Downward" indicates a vector component which is positive when
> directed downward. Surface_net_downward_mass_flux_of_ammonia is
> equal to the difference between the quantities with standard names
> "surface_downward_mass_flux_of_ammonia" and
> "surface_upward_mass_flux_of_ammonia".
I think in this definition we should refer to the processes that drive the upward and downward fluxes. For example by adding "Downward mass fluxes occur due to wet and dry deposition, upward mass fluxes are primarily due to emission."

> Proposed new standard name: surface_downward_mass_flux_of_ammonia
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
As above

> Proposed new standard name: surface_upward_mass_flux_of_ammonia
> Unit: kg m-2 s-1
As above

Best regards,

Martin