⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names: day, night, and day/night terminator area_fractions

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 13:07:59 -0800

Hi all,

I don't find "area_fraction_of_solar_zenith_angle" to be understandable
and I'm not sure the phrase makes sense. I don't see how you can have
an "area of a solar zenith angle" (or an area_fraction of an angle).
One could also be misled into thinking this was somehow related to the
solid angle associated with a cone defined by the zenith angle.

Perhaps some other variant on the earlier suggestions would be better.
(either 3 names, or something related to "distributions" ... afterall
the quantity is calculated by considering the normalized histogram of
pixels (of equal area) placed in 3 different bins: day, night, and
"twilight").

best regards,
Karl