⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Suggested Addition of 'Ocean' to Area Type Table

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 15:07:02 +0000

Dear Gary

The land/sea classification originated in models, which don't resolve small
bodies of water, and "sea" means anything which is not "land" in the area
type table. There have been previous discussions about whether we could replace
"sea" in standard names with something either more inclusive or more precise.
These discussions haven't so far reached a conclusion. In the area_type table,
I can't see a problem with providing more precise terms, such as ocean, as well
as "sea", if there is need. Do you have different algorithms for sea which is
not ocean? If not, is the distinction of ocean really essential?

----- Forwarded message from Gary Meehan <gmeehan at aer.com> -----