⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposed new standard name: effective_radius_of_cloud_particle_at_cloud_top

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 11:44:15 +0000

Dear Jonathan,

"Condensed_water" is indeed the phrase used in CF standard names to refer to liquid water and ice collectively, not just liquid. Essentially it means "non gaseous H2O". We also have names that refer separately to "liquid_water" and "ice" so that all the quantities can be distinguished. For water in all its phases (collectively) we simply use the term "water". I can't presently think of a concise alternative to "condensed_water" to describe the necessary concept. I suppose we could be more explicit and use "liquid_water_and_ice" although this would make the names longer. Do others have strong feelings about this?

"Condensed_water" is used in 22 existing names, 16 of which refer to cloud. The other 6 are soil water quantities.

I think the existing name effective_radius_of_cloud_condensed_water_particles_at_cloud_top is certainly the quantity you are looking for. However, I take your point about particles and I agree that it would actually make more sense to change this name to effective_radius_of_cloud_particles_at_cloud_top. It is shorter (always a plus point!) and it is consistent with the general approach that we have taken before that, unless we explicitly distinguish between different types of object, (e.g. convective/stratiform cloud, seasalt/sulfate aerosol, latent/sensible heat flux, etc.) then the name applies to the generic object (cloud, aerosol, heat flux).

 I don't think we need to change any of the other condensed_water names, even the cloud ones, because they don't refer to particles. For example, mass_fraction_of_cloud_condensed_water_in_air and mass_concentration_of_condensed_water_in_soil still seem OK.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065