⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Ocean colour standard names

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 12:56:13 +0000

Hi Alison,

>From an oceanographic biogeochemist's perspective (and hence not applicable to atmospheric Standard Names which do include particulate_organic_matter) particulate_organic_matter is the material trapped on a filter after a seawater sample has been filtered and the inorganic carbon has been removed as CO2, usually by fuming with a strong acid. It will comprise the corpses of planktonic organisms (some of whom may have been alive at the time of sampling) plus their faecal material (and possibly faecal material from higher organisms such as fish) plus the body parts of organisms that have died and broken up in the water column.

organic_detritus includes faecal material and body parts but explicitly excludes living organisms. In observational oceanography it is sometimes assumed that living plankton is able to avoid sediment traps and so the organic component of the material collected by these devices, especially those deployed at depths >500m, is detritus. In biological models living biomass and detritus may be compartmentalised and so considered separately.

I have never actually encountered the term particulate_biogenic_matter, but unless informed otherwise I would consider it in the oceanographic context to be an exact synonym of particulate_organic_matter.

Cheers, Roy.

Please note that I now work part-time from Tuesday to Thursday. E-mail response on other days is possible but not guaranteed!