⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] featureType attribute (was CF-1.6 DSG clarification: time series & lat/lon coordinates)

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 12:10:11 -0800

> Does the presence of a featureType attribute indicate that a file uses the DSG "machinery" and should therefore follow the guidelines of limited axes that are spelled out in chapter 9?

This was the reason I favored creating a new ACDD term. It was clear in the documentation that featureType implied a DSG-compliant file -- but I didn't see any reason I had to create a DSG-compliant file to make the file CF-1.6 compliant. As Nan says, it implicitly overloads the term.

Happy to be educated if I missed something. (But if it is true that all CF-1.6 compliant files have to be DSG, than there is no reason for featureType to mention DSG, since every file will already be DSG.)

John

John Graybeal
Sr. Data Manager, Metadata & Semantics

M +1 408 675-5445